Donegal County Council Logo
Home > defectiveconcreteblocks > Stage 2 - Grant Approval > Stage 2 - What do I need before I apply?

Stage 2 - What do I need before I apply?


When you have obtained Confirmation of Eligibility in writing from the Council under Stage 1, the next steps are:

  1. Engage an engineer from the IS465 Register ( to prepare a Remedial Works Plan detailing the works needed for your dwelling
  2. When you have the Remedial Works Plan, you can seek quotations from contractors - your engineer can help and advise on this
  3. Select your contractor and ask them to prepare a Programme of Works
  4. You will need to obtain an itemised statement (quotation) from your engineer outlining specific costs for:
    • fees for the preparation of a remedial works plan
    • professional fees for oversight/inspection and certification
    • professional fees for appointment to a statutory health and safety role
  5. You will need to obtain an itemised statement (quotation) from your contractor
  6. You will need an Inspection Plan


 Note: You will also need to satisfy yourself that:

  • you and anyone you intend to engage under the scheme are tax compliant
  • the engineer and contractor have sufficient insurance in place before undertaking services under this scheme


It can be, but it doesn’t have to be the same engineer. However you must use one from the IS465 register. Get quotations and agree a price with them to get value for money. Asking your engineer to provide you with assurance that he/she has sufficient professional indemnity insurance.


Yes, you select your own contractor. Your engineer can help you. Seek quotations and agree a price to get value for money. Do not appoint your contractor until you get Confirmation of Grant Approval in writing from the Council.


Your contractor and engineer need to have insurance in place before undertaking any services and the engineer needs to have sufficient professional indemnity insurance. Make sure to discuss this with your engineer. You should also notify your home insurance provider (if applicable) that you intend to carry out construction works on the dwelling.


You have responsibility under legislation (e.g. Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2013) to get construction works completed safely. Discuss this with your engineer including appointment of the Project Supervisor Design Process (PSDP) and the Project Supervisor Construction Stage (PSCS).


No, do not appoint your contractor or start any work until you have received Confirmation of Grant Approval in writing, from the Council.


Rate this Page

Select an option below

Map Services