> Information for Householders
> Household Food Waste Regulations
Brown Bins for householders
There are new Brown Bin regulations which make it law that householders must separate their food waste from their normal waste.
Food waste must be either,
- placed in a brown bin provided by the waste collector,
- brought to a recycling centre
- or certain food waste such as fruits and vegetables can be home composted. Please remember that food such as meats, fish, bones, dairy products etc. are not suitable for home composting.
Bunbeg - Derrybeg
If you live in any of the above town contact your waste collector for a brown bin. The brown bin is for all types of food waste including meats, fish, bones, dairy products, soups etc. As a householder you must separate your food waste from your normal waste and ensure that food waste is not placed in the rubbish or disposal bin.
Watch the Brown Bin Video here
If you currently home compost you should continue to do so and use the brown bin for waste such as meats, fish, bones, dairy products which are not suitable for home composting.
What food waste can I put in the Brown Bin?
- Meat, poultry, and fish, including bones
- Leftover food from plates and dishes
- Fruit and vegetables
- Tea bags, coffee grinds & paper filters
- Bread, cakes & biscuits
- Rice, pasta & cereals
- Dairy products, cheese, butter & yogurts
- Soups & sauces
- Eggs, egg shells, & cardboard egg boxes
- Food soiled napkins, paper towels
- Newspaper (when used for wrapping food waste)
- Out of date food with packaging removed (no glass / plastic).
No Thanks! Please do not put any of the following materials into your brown bin.
- Plastic bags / bottles
- Packaging of any sort
- Stones / Soil
- Metal / cans / wire
- No cardboard
- Ashes, coal or cinders
- Pet faeces or litter
- Cooking Oils
Brown Bin information leaflet
Brown Bins instruction leaflet
If you require more information contact your local waste collector www.nwcpo.ie, visit www.brownbin.ie or contact Donegal County Council's Environment Section on (074) 91 53900