Donegal County Council Logo
Home > Services > Fire Service > Fire Safety at Home > Fire Safety In The Bedroom

Fire Safety In The Bedroom

Bedrooms are a common place of fire origin. Many of these fires are caused by misuse or poor maintenance of electrical devices, such as overloading extension cords or using portable space heaters too close to combustibles. Many other bedroom fires are caused by children who play with matches and lighters and careless smoking among adults. There are some simple checks you can carry out before you go to bed to protect yourself and your home from fire.


  • Never smoke in bed particularly when tired or on medication.
  • If you do smoke in the bedroom empty the ashtray when finished.
  • Never use candles if you are likely to fall asleep.
  • Keep candles away from curtains, bedding, clothes, etc.
  • Make sure that candles are only used in proper candleholders.
  • Never use candles as a night light for children. (Use a low watt mains or battery light).
  • Never cover a light to make it dimmer, fit a lower watt bulb.
  • Ensure that all unnecessary electrical appliances are unplugged before going to sleep.
  • Never place a portable heater close to a bed.
  • Always have a torch available in your bedroom for emergencies.
  • Always have a house phone or mobile phone beside the bed in case of an emergency.
  • Never leave your mobile phone charging over night or when you go out.

Rate this Page

Select an option below

Map Services

Map Portal

  • winterweather Image
  • NWGreenway network icon
  • Donegal Tourism Logo
  • Rennet Image
  • NPPR Logo
  • Donegal Gathering Logo
  • NRDO European Project Logo
  • Public Art logo
  • Regional Cultural Centre logo
  • Spaceial logo
  • IrishWater
  • LEO