Donegal County Council Logo
Home > Culture > Archives > Selected Digitised Archives

This section contains:

Fanad Health Club District Nursing Association

 

Social and Cultural Study of Crofter Life on the West Donegal 

 

Gweedore Hotel Visitors' Registers 1842 - 1874

 

Fanad Health Club, District Nursing Association

Fanad Health Club, 1931 - 1935

 Archives of the District Nursing Association of Fanad, known as Fanad Health Club. The district nursing associations operated under the Queen's Institute of Nursing and the Lady Dudley Nursing Scheme.

Fanad Health Club was set up to allow district nurses operate in the area. Members paid a subscription to avail of its services. Similar Health Clubs were set up around the county.

Fanad Health Club

 

Fanad Health Club Documents

 

Fanad Health Club newspaper cuttings

 

The collection, divided into three pdfs (above), includes containing correspondence, memoranda, photographs, flyers, newspaper cuttings, in relation to district nursing in Donegal and the Fanad Health Club  in particular.

 The bound volume includes:          

  • Correspondence is primarily between members of Fanad Health Club. Includes notes on the history of the Club. Includes series of pasted in letters from Sean O Deagha, County Medical Officer of Health, Coiste Slainte Dhun na nGall, (who died aged 43 following appendix operation, in summer 1935, some months after marrying Dr Attracta Halpenny, pathologist in Dublin) to Miss E. R. C. Hart, Carrablagh, Portsalon (became secretary and later president of the Club), on the setting up of the association, employment of district nurses, nurses' salary, providing accommodation (e.g., building cottages in the area) for each nurse, nurses' performances, subsidies for Club from Dept of Local Government and Public Health, fundraising etc. (12 August 1931 - 16 April 1932 )
  • Letters from O Deagha to Public Health Offices, Stranorlar; and to Dept of L.G. & P.H.
  • Letters from Queen's Institute of District Nursing in Ireland to Miss Hart (8 April 1932- 22 July 1935) on matters such as affiliation with the Institute and recommendations regarding nurses' qualifications and salaries and pension needs. Also letters from the Institute's Irish Branch. Also pasted in is Suggested Constitution and Rules for a District Nursing Association in affiliation with the Queen's Institute.
  • Handwritten minutes of meetings and notes of events from 17 January 1932 to 24 July 1935.
  • Newspaper articles, including from Derry Journal, (29 April 1932- c. July 1935) regarding meetings of the Club, presided over by Rev. Canon Gallagher, PP; outings, events, lectures given by members, obituary to Sean O Deagha (O'Dea); reunion of Jubilee Nurses.
  • Handwritten correspondence (two letters) between Father McCaul, Frosses, and Mrs Barton, Portsalon Hotel, concerning fundraising for the association, particularly in relation to the bishop's pastoral on the subject of behaviour at dances. (25 - 29 September 1932).
  • 1935 Annual Report and other correspondence from Donegal County Committee of District Nursing Association and Donegal County Nursing Association
  • Correspondence from the Benevolent Society of St Patrick, also called the Irish Peasantry Society, regarding grants towards the association (7 July 1932- 3 August 1933)
  • Photographs include two pasted into volume: one of unnamed groups of nurses; one of Jubilee Nurses Reunion photograph, including J.W. Fullerton, Lady Stewart, Miss Harte, Mrs C. Kelly, Mrs Boyd, Dr M. McGinley, Dr O Deagha and Mrs Colhoun and Mrs Magee.
  • Lists of collectors of funds.
  • Posters, sketches, cuttings from newspapers, invitation cards, tickets etc concerning fundraising activities, such as garden fetes, dances and carnivals for the Club.

 

*Digitised for Creative Ireland project 2017*

 

 

Social and Cultural Study of Crofter Life on the West Donegal Seaboard thesis by Patrick O'Neill 1940 in two volumes.

This is an original thesis in two volumes written by Patrick O'Neill, entitled 'A Social and Cultural Study of Crofter Life on the West Donegal Seaboard', 1940.

 

The first volume is divided into chapters. The chapters include physical features, climate, soil, agriculture (corn, manures, potatoes, crop rotation), transhumance and livestock, rundale, congestion and land tenure, home industries, fishing, curraghs, housing.

 

The second volume includes hand drawn statistical maps of Donegal, including of structural features of a sea curragh. Also includes sketch of 'crofter's lime kiln', drawings of spools and pot for holding yarn and house types along western seaboard plus older types of 'crofter dwelling'.

 

Black and white photographs include of Upper Finn Valley and houses and cottages in Knockfola, Traweenagh Bay, Gibbstown, Co Meath, Ballyroarty, Stranocloc (Owenea Valley), Sthraboy, Teelin, Altnagoire (Ranafast),  Drumeen, Rann na Gille, Teelin- Seamus O h-E[ ], Bunbeg, and also Norway.

 

Thesis was submitted to Queens University Belfast and is also available in the college library.

 

Social & Cultural Study of Crofter Life on the West Donegal Seaboard

 

Social & Cultural Study of Crofter Life on the West Donegal Seaboard 2

 

 

 

 

Gweedore Hotel Visitors' Registers, 1842 - 1874

Gweedore Hotel Visitors' Books 19th Century Digitised and Conserved and Online

 

Two visitors' books for Gweedore Hotel, a hotel owned by reforming land owner Lord George Hill, brother of the Earl of Downshire in the mid 19th century.

 

The 19th century Gweedore Hotel was hugely popular with wealthy tourists from Ireland and abroad. The hotel was owned by Lord George Hill, brother of the Marquess of Downshire. Hill acquired much land in the north west of Donegal in the early and middle years of the 19th century. By some, Hill was regarded as a 'good' reforming landlord though there was plenty of local opposition to his reforms, particularly when he brought in tenants from Scotland for the purpose of large scale sheep grazing. This escalated into the famous 'sheep war' of Gweedore.

 

Conservation and rebinding of two leather-bound Gweedore Hotel visitors’ registers dating from 1842 – 1874

 

Creative Ireland project (2017)

 

The Gweedore Hotel is famous in County Donegal’s history. Owned by controversial landowner Lord George Hill during the 19th century, the hotel was hugely popular with wealthy tourists from Ireland and abroad.  Hill acquired much land in the north west of Donegal  and was regarded by some people as a good reforming landlord, though there was plenty of local opposition to his reforms.

 

Both hotel books were donated to Donegal County Archives a number of years ago and were digitised and the digitised images placed online on the Donegal County Council Cultural Services Archives website. The two visitors’ books are unlike most visitors’ books you will encounter. They are an extremely significant source for social, economic and political history. They contain vivid handwritten comments by visitors on all the controversies of the day. There are stories, poems, treatises, sketches, opinion pieces and drawings relating to the hotel itself and to life in rural Gweedore, including relating to Lord George Hill’s dealings with his tenants. Themes include poverty and the Great Famine, farming, the rundale system, land reform, tenant rights,  landscape, emigration, politics, illegal distillation of whiskey, and tourism. Visitors include the rich and famous of the time, such as Robert William Wilde, Sir James Dombrain, Thomas Carlyle, John Mitchel, Thomas Emerson Headlam and the Marchioness of Londonderry.

 

Donegal County Archives holds two hotel visitors’ books, covering the above dates. The books were both in extremely fragile physical condition, with almost all the pages torn or damaged and the spines broken. Both bound volumes could not be handled by the public, and needed urgent conservation work to the covers, binding and to the pages themselves. The Ox Bindery in Co. Sligo (www.oxbindery.ie) has done a wonderful job of painstakingly repairing the bound volumes. This was a huge undertaking and included manual repair of pages, ‘leafcasting’ (filling in missing parts of pages), trimming, sewing textblock, adding spine lining, adding new cloth endpaper joint and new flyleaves, reattaching boards, creating a leather tone to match with the original, new leather re-back, pasting back the original leather, corner repairs, reshaping warped boards and creating a custom made phase box for storage. Some of this extensive work can be seen from the images.

 

The conservation project comes under Pillar 2 Enabling Creativity in every Community, and promote the preservation and conservation of and access to our cultural heritage. The conservation work was funded by Creative Ireland and Donegal County Council.

 

Links:

 

Gweedore Hotel Visitors' Book 1

Digitised version of the Gweedore Hotel Book, 1842 - 1859

 

Gweedore Hotel book 2

Digitised version of the Gweedore Hotel Book, 1856 - 1874

 

Gweedore Hotel Conservation Report

Conservation Report from Mr Benjamin Van de Wetering of The Ox Bindery

 

Gweedore Hotel Books quotes

Information and quotes from the visitors to the Gweedore Hotel during the 19th century

‌‌

 

 

Rate this Page

Select an option below

Map Services

  • Rennet Image
  • NPPR Logo
  • Donegal Gathering Logo
  • Donegal Tourism Logo
  • Donegal Diaspora Logo
  • Public Art logo
  • Regional Cultural Centre logo
  • Spaceial logo
  • IrishWater
  • LEO